Additional birth certificates for an adult

Birth certificate/ birth registration

Register no later than 42 days after the birth.  It may be useful to have more than one certificate if you need them to apply for other things.


  • the birth notification letter from the hospital or your baby’s red book
  • photographic identification (such as passport or driving licence) for each parent of the child that will be recorded on the birth certificate.

Baby information to provide:

  • the date and place of your baby’s birth (if you have twins, triplets etc. then the time of birth for each will also be required)
  • whether your baby is a boy or girl
  • the forenames and surname of your baby
  • You can choose any surname for your baby whether or not you are married but cannot change it later. The only way it can be changed is the process of re-registration.

Mother information to provide:

  • forenames and surname(s) (including any maiden surnames)
  • date and place of birth
  • usual address at the date of baby’s birth
  • occupation or previous occupation if not currently working

Father/ parent if relevant information to provide:

  • forenames and surname(s)
  • date and place of birth
  • occupation or previous occupation if not currently working

Child benefit

• the birth certificate or adoption certificate for each child in this claim
– don’t send photocopies
• extra pages you’ve filled in if you want to claim for more than 2 children
• if any child in this claim was born outside the UK we also need to see their
passport(s) or their travel documents used to enter the UK
– don’t send photocopies


  • It can take up to 12 weeks to process a new Child Benefit claim (or longer if you’re new to the UK).
  • Claim Child Benefit as soon as your child is born or comes to live with you.
  • Child Benefit can be backdated for up to 3 months – make your claim as soon as possible.
  • If you don’t have the birth or adoption certificate, you should still send in your claim form – send the certificate later on when you’ve got it.  You don’t need the birth or adoption certificate if you’ve claimed Child Benefit before and are making a new claim for the same child.

Child tax credit


  • It can take up to 2 weeks for the claim form to arrive and up to 5 weeks to process a new claim.

Childcare vouchers



Doctor registration form

Healthy Start


Maternity allowance

Maternity information from the government

Maternity leave TUC guide

Nappy voucher

Nursery funding

Prescriptions and dentist visits maternity exemption


UK Passport


  • 2 new photos of your child
  • the child’s full birth or adoption certificate (the one with parent’s details on it)
  • proof that your child has British nationality (for example a British registration certificate, parent’s passport details or parent’s birth certificates)
  • any valid passports from a different country belonging to the child
  • any court orders (for example, that describe parental responsibility or residency arrangements)


  • It should take 3 weeks to get the passport – use the 1 week Fast Track service if you need it urgently.


  • £49 online and £58.50 to apply with a paper form from the Post Office.


  • GP says does not sign passports
  • have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
  • be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)
  • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
  • They can’t be closely-related to or involved with the person applying, e.g.: related by birth or marriage, be in a relationship with or live at the same address as the person applying